Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Maybe.

stop-sign

Changes…

I used to think of myself as easily adaptable.

I was always ready for a change.

Always ready to “up and change”…

But…..

having children CHANGED that.

I have gotten to a point in life where I am the “change police”.

Always on the lookout for upcoming changes.

WARY of what that means for us ….

When is puberty?

Will they act like nasty teens?

When will we need to have “THE talk”???

What will we do when they…um…like girls/boys??? Eeekkkk.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

You see what I mean…in the last few years- I have started to rethink my attitude on change.

I want everything to

STAY

THE

SAME.

I feel like we are in “the sweet spot”…I will say it:

I

am

scared

for

them

to

GROW

up.

I don’t want to be without them….

THEY are ME.

They DEFINE me….and I wouldn’t trade it for the world…

But…them growing up…I FEAR IT.

Or at least I have …..

until one of them changes

FOR

THE

BETTER

when growing up.

THAT I CAN HANDLE.

Which is exactly what has been happening around here.

Lets just say we have 1 VERY STUBBORN,HARD-HEADED d …daughter who…until NOW, was VERY resistant to being , lets say, GIVING.

She has always had a tendency to be a little self-centered and live in “Shasha-world”.  She IS NOT always the first to jump up and help. And she is pretty determined to have things HER WAY.

She is my BABY…don’t get me wrong…

I love her with ALL MY HEART..

But her personality is STRONG…it takes WORK to get thru to her.

Until NOW.

Now…she is  changing.

Growing up I guess.

The other day we had to go buy her a new leotard  for ballet.

Let’s just say …it was EXPENSIVE.

Like $40 expensive….and she KNEW the minute she heard the price, she gave me a LOOK.

A look I had NEVER seen before on her….a look that said she was EMPATHETHIC.

She knew that $40 was a big sacrifice for us as a family….she KNEW and she was THANKFUL.

We got in the car and she said, “Thank you MOM. I know it was expensive.”

And

she

MEANT

IT.

I could see it in her eyes….

she had GROWN.

And then when we got home I found her in my room………..

FOLDING LAUNDRY.

Not being FORCED to fold laundry….

JUST

FOLDING

LAUNDRY.

On her OWN.

I am not going to LIE….I almost CRIED.

Maybe this is all happening at just the right speed after all…..

MAYBE.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE your writing here... my boys are almost 4 & almost 7... & I ALREADY fear letting them go/grow, but I KNOW I have to...

Dad said...

Godd kid....both of you