Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Talking her DOWN.....

Photobucket

Shashamane is a DRAMATIC little girl.

The other day she came to me with a small rash in her hairline...NO BIG DEAL! Right?

WRONG! LATER that day she came to me with a small "problem".

ACTUALLY...She came to me TOTALLY freaking out.

She had laid back on her head and felt a small LUMP.

She came to me in a panic.

She RAN into my room and said in her little raspy voice..."Mom, Whats wrong with me? I have a BIG BUMP on the back of my head. Is it ok? What if its NOT ok? Mom, What are we going to DO?"

She was BAWLING....the sweet child was BAWLING because she was worried.

AT this point...being a BIT of a HYPOCHONDRIAC myself...I swallowed hard and said "Turn around."

An there it was...a swollen lymph node!

And of course, like every CRAZY parent, my mind immediately goes to all the HORRIBLE things that could be wrong.

In these moments-HER short life flashes before my eyes.(As I read that NOW ..It DOES seem crazy!) LOL

All the while she is feeling the swollen bump on her head an looking at me with her SWEET doe eyes, CRYING, saying-"What if its NOT alright? What if it is SERIOUS?"

I put on my best "I'm the MOM, an I KNOW that it will be OK" face an say..."Calm Down, God always protects us."

She UNCONVINCINGLY looks at me and is having a PANIC ATTACK!!!

My 6 year old was standing there having a PANIC ATTACK!

I convinced her to get in the warm bath and BREATHE.

In, Out, In, Out, In, Out......

We washed her hair and stopped the WORLD for our PRECIOUS GIRL.

It really was an Eye-Opening experience for me.

It made me THINK.

It made me STOP and APPRECIATE her.

It made me want to "put a brick on her head", like my Dad used to say.

What a sweet, neurotic, sissy Bear.

So cute, so worried!!!

I love her more than words could say.

My Mom used to say I would NEVER understand what it is like REALLY LOVE someone LIKE THAT- UNTIL I had a child.

NOW- with 4 of my own....I UNDERSTAND that LOVE for a child.


PS.... I took her to the Doctor and he said he thought it was a bug bite and gave her some medicine and cream.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you go mom! God always does protect. my mom had something similar with me (who will now admit to the drama) when I first started wearing "anti perspirant" my body didn't like it and made a "lump" under my arm....my mom and I both freaked out to find I was allergic to this or that.

You are nothing short of admirable, you put on that brave mom face for your lil' girl. Give it to God, it'll be ok.

~dawn

Anonymous said...

Aww, great story Jana! I'm glad everything turned out ok! God Bless. -Sarah Helmick (St.Martin)