Sunday, October 28, 2007

A little Perspective......

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Its funny how sometimes in life you REALLY learn a lesson or you REALLY come across something that REALLY affects your life.
I am always reading a bunch of books.
Sometimes its a homeschooling book, sometimes a parenting book, maybe a spiritual book....I am the kind of person that goes to the library and my mind goes into overdive and I FORGET that all these great books will be there NEXT TIME!!!!
Right now...One of the books I am reading is called "The Power of a Positive Mom" by Karol Ladd.
This is a GREAT book for anyone who has a hard time being positive in hard situations.
It includes chapters called: the power of incouragement, the power of prayer, the power of good attitude, and the power of a good example.
And all of it is biblically supported thru scripture.
Hallelujah!!!!
Well today I read something that just tweaked my perspective.
I want to believe that I am usaually a positive person that looks for the good in every situation.
Which ...compared to my husband, who is eternally happy and optimistic, is not easy.
And this afternoon, as I faced 5 kids running around, a dinner to cook, baths to give, a house to clean, and still MORE laundy to do...I NEEDED a pick-me-up!!!
It was then that I decided to sit down and read a little of my book.
I am currently on a chapter called : Attitude of Gratitude.
I was reading about a girl named Pollyanna...she was the daughter of missionaries in a foreign country.
She had been waiting on a package from the states which included a doll.
She waited and waited.
When the package finally got there....it had no doll. Instead ..there was a pair of childs crutches.
Pollyannas Father immediately made up a game called the "Glad Game".
The game encouraged his daughter to find somthing positive in EVERY situation.
Pollyanna finally realized that she should be glad that SHE wasnt the one that needed the crutches!!!
What a change of perspective....
I realized that even though I had all those jobs in front of me still before I could rest my feet....I should be thankful for ALL THOSE JOBS.
I remembered in Costa Rica when All I dreamed of was having a place with food in the fridge, a washing machine to wash clothes, and a cozy place to rest with our family.
I realized at that moment ....My Prayers have been ANSWERED, already.
I realized that these jobs ARE my little blessings.
So as I fed, bathed, and cleaned tonight...my perspective shifted.

6 comments:

Katie said...

I know exactly what you mean. Jimmy and Jay sound alot alike in their attitude toward life & situations. I too some sometimes get overwhelmed, even without any kids to take care of. I love to read too and after reading what you just wrote, sounds like a book I too need to pick up. Keep up the great job of being a mother, daughter, friend and wife!!!

Anonymous said...

I have always felt you were eternally happy and you are always in a GREAT mind friend and yes, keep up the good work, sista!!! Love you! Mari

Anonymous said...

that was MIND FRAME........Mari

Anonymous said...

It's wonderful that you can realize this now instead of later when your children are grown and the workload is smaller.
Enjoy them now, they don't stay little for long.
Love to all. Mema

Anonymous said...

Jana, I love your writing and your life lessons. I think we can all learn from them. Thanks for always sharing!
I must be a little like Jason--always happy, ready for work, and I love the joy of things around me. I try to STOP AND SMELL THE ROSES! It isn't easy sometimes--but it's usually worth it!

Michelle Collier said...

We loved you on wifeswap. Jah does provide! Love Michael and Michelle