Saturday, November 7, 2009

The Silver Lining…..

Sometimes in life you can really SEE the silver lining.

It appears at the most DIVINE times.

broken_tv Today we got rid of the cable in the house.

I have been REALLY wanting to …for a while.

But finally did it.

The kids woke up this am to NO SATURDAY MORNING cartoons.

But wait….DO NOT CRY….

These kids have watched their share of  television.

And I still love SOME TV.

I love the history channel, weather channel, and PROJECT RUNWAY.

But it is not a necessity.

And I have a library card that I LOVE using!

Anyway……about the “silver lining”.

Today when we told the kids about not having cable anymore….

they DIDN’T do MANY things:

CRY

SCREAM

COMPLAIN

or

YELL

I was sooo impressed.

I was so humbled.

They took it well and when they asked us “WHY?”…

WE TOLD THEM THIS:

“It’s expensive and not necessary. AND we can still have the REGULAR CHANNELS and the LIBRARY!”

And like the WONDERFUL, LOVING, and GRATEFUL children they are ….they said:

“ok.”

And with that 1 word -Just like that…..

They wove the  silver lining on the situation.

No arguing.

No fighting.

No screaming.

They just understood.

It really made me grateful.

It made me think about how much BETTER OFF these children are because they DON’T have EVERYTHING.

(And by “everything” ..I mean all THOSE things that we THINK we need)

They are so much better off in the world as HUMBLE  INDIVIDUALS who know that true LIGHT comes from within…

It doesn’t  come from material things that can be bought.

It doesn’t  come from how much STUFF they have.

It doesn’t come from what OTHERS think of them.

It comes from  being ABLE to take a situation and find…

the silver lining.

November 09 062

I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or living in want. I can do everything thru HIM that gives me strength. Philippians 4:11-13

2 comments:

Emily said...

This is really great. Your kids have such grateful attitudes! I have been thinking of getting our cable cut off for a while...It's been my long standing belief that kids who don't have "everything"(materialistic crap) do SO much better! They are MUCH happier people, really well adjusted and in tune with the real world. They appreciate things so much more and they don't have a sense of entitlement.

Mari V. said...

We have had ZERO channels for 3 and a half years. More outside,cooking, gardening, riding bikes, hiking, just enjoyng the fresh air, more music time, and my fav, more BOOK reading time. don't get me wrong we have a tv and around 250 movies, but that's for after dinner. WE LOVE IT and it's just the 2 of us. Our kids, when they come ;)~ will love it, too. LOVE YOU GIRL!