Thursday, July 8, 2010

Mid-summer feelings.

sidewalk

.Homeschool.

Scary I know.

I have LIVED it for the past 4 years.

Its OVERWELMING.

All of it.

For starters…..It is SOOO SCARY to be the SOLEY  RESPONSIBLE for a childs education.

To be the one who has to teach a child to READ is MAJOR.

Like …..”Make it or Break it”  MAJOR.

It is scary and exciting all at the same time.

I LOVE being able to TEACH them what WE  deem important.

There are some things in a public school education that I DONT THINK ARE IMPORTANT.

For instance…

Cursive.

Why are the kids learning CURSIVE but not GARDENING, .

PLANTS or CONSERVATION???

Silly.

I guess I just lean more towards the PRACTICAL side of things.

I would rather them learn TYPING than CURSIVE.

Something they might actually NEED.

Silly EXPECTANCIES like THOSE remind me of when I was in college and there were all these sidewalks thru the campus.

and all over the GRASS in the middle of the walkways were signs.

“Don’t walk on the grass”

I always said to myself, “Why???”

Why don't they want us to FEEL the grass???

Isn’t that what GRASS is for????

To walk on????

I know, I know…..they wanted it to stay pretty or whatever.

It always struck me as some sort of TEST .

I felt like the SYSTEM was a test.

WHO would follow the rules???

Who would stay “in the lines”?

WHO would NOT QUESTION?????

OF COURSE…

I walked on the grass.

Surprised???? I didn’t think so.  LOL.

Anyway….That is what mid summer is like for me.

Deciding between “typing” or “cursive”.

Navigating thru PLANS, WHAT to teach, and HOW to teach it.

Deciding what TRULY NEEDED for these kids to live a full life.

A life in which- if they are ever TESTED they will KNOW whether to “take the sidewalk” or “walk on the GRASS”. 

They will KNOW whether to  pick that “berry” or “NOT”.

It is a DAUNTING TASK.

One that feels HEAVY.

It is a task that takes LOTS of TIME and LOTS of  THINKING.

Today as I stood in my schoolroom TOTALLY OVERWHELMED by this TASK….

I felt fear,excitement,love,promise,pride,BLESSED..

THEN-I thought…”Yep…It FEELS like JULY.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you go mama! here's a free online typing program (you may already have this or something better but) http://www.sense-lang.org/typing/index.html

bless up
Dawn