Sunday, December 25, 2011

Love and layers….

love-image1

 

This time of year is HARD on us.

We have come a long way in 10 years….

We have gone from telling our middle-class suburban parents, “We don’t agree…so COUNT US OUT.”

to

the last 2 years sitting around a table for a Christmas dinner at families house.

It has been a JOURNEY into ourselves.

It has been a journey to TRUTH and what is right for US.

We are trying to walk a THIN line.

On one side we GREW up with these customs and traditions….

Santa Clause

Stockings

Elves

The Christmas story

On the other side….

We are on our own journey

we celebrate Christ in our own way

we are creating our own culture and traditions as a family

But in NO WAY does that mean we don’t appreciate the way we grew up…..or our families and their ways.

I love the memories I have of my childhood and the holidays.

I have no ill will because my beliefs as an adult are DIFFERENT.

I look at it as a JOURNEY I was MEANT for…

I have confidence that EVERY SINGLE step I took before today brought me to where I am RIGHT NOW.

I am am APPRECIATIVE of that.

I am thankful to my parents for loving me thru the “bad times”…when loving me wasn’t easy.

AT ALL.

I am proud of my childhood and life….I believe that GOD set me on THIS path in order to have THIS life.

As I look around today and see the life and laughter in my home, and the LOVE that surrounds me in my life………..

I can’t help but think that it doesn’t matter if we say MERRY CHRISTMAS, HAPPY HANNAKAH, or as Jay says it- “Happy Whole-lotta-days”,

It doesn’t matter if we have a Christmas tree, presents or stockings,

a menorah or dreidel,

or none of the above…

ALL that matters is that we share LOVE.

No comments: