Saturday, April 18, 2009

A Little Mothers Intuition...

Gold Medal Pictures, Images and Photos

There is something to be said for MOTHERS INTUITION!!!
This morning I woke up and was ANXIOUS to unwrap Malachis knee to see how it looked.
I am not sure what I was expecting, a MIRACLE maybe?
Needless to say...I woke the sweet boy up and told him I wanted to look at his knee.
We got all the "supplies" together and were ready to check it out.
I unwraped it and saw his precious little knee .....IT WAS STILL AN OPEN CUT!!!!
THAT WAS ALL IT TOOK.
I think Jay knew what was comming.
I said, "Jay, I dont know. It still looks open. What do you think?"
"I think it just needs some more DUCT TAPE!"
My mind at this point was seeing Malachi laid up on the couch FOREVER.
Of course..It would be nice to KEEP him on my couch for the rest of his life.
BUT...I am sure that at some point he will want to DATE!
So....I quickly canceled out THAT idea and said, "Im taking him to the ER."
10 minutes later we were at the ER, and he was PLAYING in the waiting room.
REMEMBER-He hasnt said it hurt ONCE!
Soon after they called us in.
Keep in mind...I dont do ER's!
When we did get SOME vaccinations..Jay ALWAYS held him, I couldnt stand it!!!
I cant stand to see them in PAIN!
IT HURTS ME to see them hurt...it ACTUALLY hurts!!!
The nurse PROMPTLY says.."You waited till NOW to bring him in?"
I TEMPERED the fire inside of me and SWEETLY said, "Yes, we thought it would be OK"
She turned and left the room...I was sure she was going to get my "Worst Mom in the WORLD" plaque.
She came back with the Doctor, who looked at it and said, "Well, you did the right thing with it. Its NOT infected. We can do 1 of 2 things. We can leave it and let it heal on is own or we can RE-OPEN it, clean it and stitch it back together."
I at this point was about to FAINT.
Where was JAY?????
WHAT WAS I THINKING????
I CANT MAKE THESE DECISIONS!
Feeling TOTALLY SCARED, I said "How long would it take to heal on its own?"
He said something that made my JAW DROP..."Hell have to be off of it for up to 3-4 weeks."
My mind fast-forwards to 3-4 weeks of TRYING to keep him OFF HIS FEET...RIGHT!!!
I think his mind might be MUSH from SPONGEBOB by then.
In fear of BRAIN MUSH and INSAINTY(on my part)I said..."We'll take the stitches."
The doctor smiled and said.."OK!"
They returned with all the "supplies".
Malachi at this point was starting to freak out...WE BOTH WERE, actually!
I looked him in the eye and said, "I know buddy! It will be ok."
I leaned over him and to tell you the truth I dont know what happened between then and when the doctor said that they were done w/ the shots.
I couldnt look, but I know that Malachi was SCREAMING!!!!
Poor Little Guy...Precious Malachi.
After they numbed it- Malachi WATCHED them sew it up.
The only time he even started to cry after that was when he saw it start bleeding for a moment...
The doctor sewed it up w/ 4 stitches and we were off..
Two hours later we were WALKING around the EARTH DAY festival.
It didnt slow him 1 bit!!!!
Thank God for giving me "Maternal Intuition."
I am soooo glad that we went....
I feel like we both should get a MEDAL.
Malachis would say, "For the Bravest, Sweetest, most adorable WARRIOR BOY"
MINE would say, "For the DUMB Mom who waits 30 hrs to get her son stitches because she WANTS it to heal with DUCT TAPE!"
I think weve learned our lesson...NEXT TIME someone cuts open part of their body-we go with our "Mothers Intuition"!

9 comments:

MOM said...

GOOOOO MOMMY, you did the right thing this morning. And it's okay if it was the next day. I hate ER's too.
LOVE YOU,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Well- if nothing else
1-it all worked out, no perminent damage doen
2-you have done it daddy's way w/ the duct tape once and don't have to try it again

Love u!- jsk2

Juli Morman said...

Nothing is worse then seeing your child in pain...Landon had to get stiches when he was 2 and they had to strap him to the table....it was a horrible experience....of course his was on his head and required over 10 stiches...
My heart breaks just hearing your story because I know how you felt...it is a helpless feeling when your child is hurting....glad to hear he is feeling better! ;)

Laurie said...

You are an awesome mom, I am so glad everthing will be o.k.
Love you guys, the Shimkos
P.S. NO MORE SPONGEBOB!!
What is it about this show that kids like??

Family in Florida said...

Oh, Jana...don't be down about you...you did great!!!! None of us moms want to go through that!!!! You did the right thing and the Dr. even said you could let it heal on its own!!! Poor him though...I hope he feels better soon!!!!

Shainee said...

You are so witty girl! Ok......stop beating yourself up. We are human my dear! You are a wonderful mommy. Daddy's don't roll like us. That's why God made Man and woman. LOL! If it was up to the men folk....They world would be a banged up place. LOL!

turtle said...

Wow
amazing turn of events
just really amazing

Anonymous said...

Always best to check it out if you aren't sure. You did good Mom.
I know duct tape is good but for some things, I don't think so.
An old saying I just made up,
"When in doubt, check it out." It even rhymes.Love, Mema

Mari V. said...

Good on, you, Girl! Hope Malachi is back to his old jumping out of trees self, soon. love you!